Post Essay 3 and Asylum

After already being so passionate about a topic, it’s probably hard to think that I could get more involved in asylum. Well, you’re wrong. While I had followed asylum closely in regards to how it has affected Syrians specifically, I never really followed the path of asylum seekers from Central and South America. After doing more research during Unit 3, my eyes were opened to the fact that Hispanic and Latino/a asylum seekers are being treated the same way as Syrian asylum seekers. After learning about this, I decided I would more closely follow what’s happening to the asylum system.
As of a few weeks ago, President Trump decided to order for more restrictions on asylum seekers, like making them pay for the application process and preventing work permits. This gives me a lot of frustration because, as global citizens and fellow human  beings, it should be our job to help asylum seekers find safety and aid while their homes are too dangerous to live in. However, there is not a desire to help people because they are different and society has formed a prejudice against them and does not want them to become citizens. Current citizens are afraid that asylum seekers will worsen society, when in fact they are working hard to create their own businesses and become successful members of American society.

I believe there needs to be a change in how citizens respond to asylum seekers, and there needs to be an understanding that we must be global citizens to effectively change how society views asylum seekers. If we as citizens are unwilling to engage in the community and better understand that we must promote equal opportunities and the right to life for every human being, then can we truly be the citizens that we are supposed to be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Being a Citizen Include Being Environmentally Just?

Why Did I Choose to Research Asylum?

Why am I here?