Citizenship at Soonerthon

Over the weekend on March 2, 2019, I participated in the University of Oklahoma's dance marathon, called Soonerhton, to support the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. It was twelve long hours of standing, dancing, competing, and working towards donations. However, I  was nervous that being at the event would make no difference. I  was doubtful that I could raise donations for the children. But I  realized how wrong I  was when I got to Soonerthon.  I recognized how lucky I was to be there the more time passed. Even if I couldn't raise as much as others, and even though I'm losing my entire Saturday to sleep and relax, I realized that I was part of something larger than myself. Just having the opportunity to raise money for the kids was an amazing experience because every dollar made a difference. Thinking back on Soonerhton and how every small donation contributed to a larger goal, it has also made me think about citizenship and the ability that citizens have to make an impact on their societies.

Like in Soonerhton, citizens have many opportunities to make an impact on the society they are placed in. One such example is voting. Many citizens who are able to vote choose not to because they do not feel like their vote will make much of a difference. However, from what I  experienced at Soonerhton, even though it is not the exact same thing, everything makes a difference. Many times outcomes change and the minority is able to come out on top due to their voters showing up at the booths. The smallest amount of votes can always make a difference. Another instance where I  feel that citizens have the chance to make an impact is within the community. Communities can become stronger the more citizens become involved in them, which is also what I experienced at Soonerthon. The community we made working together to raise money for this amazing cause is so strong, and I    actually became closer with people I  both knew and did not know. I  believe that if we citizens can apply that strength created between connections in communities, there will be a better understanding of what it means to be a citizen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should Being a Citizen Include Being Environmentally Just?

Citizens and Climate Change

Why Did I Choose to Research Asylum?